If colored contacts and dark mirrored sunglasses are too ordinary for you, why not try mirrored contact lenses? Mirrored contacts work to give the iris of your eye a mirror effect. This is a great special effect to add to your costume and live action roll play experience.
Going Beyond Colored Contacts
For years people have been using colored contacts to change their look and add new drama to their eyes. In addition to their use as a "fashion" accessory, colored contacts are vital for people in witness protection programs, undercover law enforcement, and other situations. A new twist on colored contacts comes in the form of mirrored contacts.
Where to Buy Mirrored Contact Lenses
Mirror tinted contacts are more difficult to find than your standard colored contacts, but there are several places they can be purchased, including the following:
- OPTYK ROZMUS offers mirrored lenses like those worn by the character Riddick. These lenses can be purchased in your prescription and they offer ColourVue Kronos in silver, gold and black to make your eyes shine like metal.
- Demon Eyes is another high-profile Halloween store that sells mirrored lenses. This store has silver mirrored contacts that are non-prescription and great for special effects.
- Coloured Contacts offers a silver mirror colored contact lenses that is good for 30 days. This full color contact is costume style and is not available in different prescriptions.
Prices vary for the lenses but generally cost between $20 and $30 dollars per pair.
Mirrored Lenses That Cover The Whole Eye
Finding mirrored contact lenses that cover your complete eye are hard to find online. However, if you want your character to be true to form with mirrored contacts, you can buy custom made contact lenses. For example, the company Samhain Studios offers custom made contacts along with a range of creepy lenses starting at about $100.
Popularization of Mirrored Contacts
Mirrored contacts were in part popularized by the character Riddick in The Chronicles of Riddick trilogy (Pitch Black, Riddick, and Dark Fury). Riddick is played by Vin Diesel.
In the film, Vin Diesel wears mirrored contacts to show his character's "eyeshine," or special supernatural night vision that enables him to see without night vision goggles or other equipment. This eyeshine results in the appearance of shiny, mirror-like eyes. Going beyond celebrity sunglasses, these celebrity-inspired contacts are sure to be a showstopper no matter who you are.
Choosing Mirrored Lenses
People choose to wear mirrored contact lenses for a variety of reasons. Looking to add an air of mystery, drama, or just plain shock factor to your look? Mirrored lenses might be the ticket. Persons who are looking for a unique alternative to mirrored sunglasses might also be inspired to try the lenses. Other reasons for wearing these lenses include:
- Theater and drama productions: The lights of a theater are perfect to reflect the eerie feel that mirrored contacts can create. It also helps to really push the creepy factor of a character like Dracula.
- Halloween: Mirrored contacts as part of your costume are a great way to creep out houses on Halloween. You'll be surprised at how many people do a double take.
- Costume parties: Costume contact lenses are a great way to push your portrayal of Riddick that much further.
- Haunted house employees: The moment that a strobe light flashes against your eyes, you are sure to send them screaming.
- Live Action Role Play (LARP): Mirrored contacts are a must have for many people that are LARPing. They want their portrayal of the character to be as close as possible.
Mirroring Your Contacts
Custom contacts are a great way to add a little pizzazz to any costume. Really push your cosplay or Halloween experience to the limit by adding some mirrored contact lenses.