Top Gun is a classic, beloved movie from 1986, populated by memorable characters and stunning footage of fighter planes in action. It's a great choice to use for inspiration for a Halloween or other costume party, alone or in a group.
Flight Suit Costume
The classic Top Gun look is a flight suit/set of coveralls with some distinct patches on the chest and arms.
Purchased Replica Flight Suit
A replica suit gives you an authentic look.
Create Your Own Flight Suit
Put your own touch on a flight suit by creating your own.
- Use a plain men's olive green coverall (short, regular, tall sizes available, $53) or a spruce green men's jumpsuit (34 Regular through 62 Regular, some in Long, $28).
- Add iron-on patches ($14) or make the patches. Otherwise, cut small patches of felt in the appropriate background color. Use red, white, blue, black, and yellow fabric markers to recreate patches. Cut them out.
- Hand-sew or safety-pin the patch onto the jumpsuit.
- Let everyone know which character you are by adding a Goose, Iceman, or Maverick patch or create a custom patch with any name and call sign. Make your own with black or blue felt and fabric paint in gold or deep red - capitalize all letters of your nickname and replicate the eagle emblem to the best of your ability.
- Add the patch with fabric glue, a few stitches, or safety pins.
- Finish with black boots and aviator glasses.
Casual Maverick Costume
For a more dressed-down men's Top Gun look that just screams 1980s fashion:
The female lead, expert instructor and astrophysicist Charlie Blackwood, wears a simple outfit and leather jacket with its sleeves pushed up, which is decorated with several patches. This can be recreated easily:
- Wear a white blouse or button-down shirt.
- Add a black knee-length pencil skirt.
- Wear black panty hose.
- Use an existing leather/faux leather jacket or buy a costume leather jacket.
- If it's an inexpensive costume jacket, glue or sew some of the Top Gun themed patches onto it (wings on the left chest area and a large patch on the left sleeve just below the shoulder).
- Wear heels or comfortable dress shoes.
- Finish it off with some large 80s hair or a blonde wig.
Feel the Need for Speed
Salute this great action movie with a purchased or homemade costume for the next Purim, Halloween, or other fancy dress party. These costumes are comfortable and easy to wear as well as easy to put together.