You'll be the life of the party when you and your significant other wear Sonny and Cher Halloween costumes.
Choosing a Halloween costume is often about inspiration. If you're like a lot of folks, you wait until a few days before the big event and then ransack your house looking for items to throw together for a costume. If you're creative, you may come up with a few great outfits, but if you're not, you may need a little inspiration.
Some of the most popular adult costumes involve copying the look of a celebrity. There are many famous people whose trademark looks are so recognizable that designing a costume is easy. Sonny and Cher Halloween costumes are timeless, and they don't have to cost a fortune to make.
Sonny and Cher Halloween Costumes
Sonny and Cher hit the big time with hit songs, like "I Got You Babe" and "The Beat Goes On" and with their TV show The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour. They were a perfect fit for the late 60's and early 70's. They both epitomized the look of the hippie era, with long hair, flowing shirts, and bell bottoms, and this look continues to be copied today in costumes for every occasion, especially Halloween. If Sonny and Cher costumes are what you want to wear this year, how do you get the look?
- Dig around in your closet: You may have the perfect shirt, bell bottoms, and accessories to replicate the look of Sonny and/or Cher. If you don't have any bell bottoms, don't worry. You can create instant bell bottoms by taking a pair of your pants (bright colors, stripes, or even flowers really look great) and cutting a slit from the bottom to just under the knee. Take a wide piece of material, stretch the slit open as far as possible, and sew the material in the slit to give the leg more of a bell-bottom look. You can do the same thing with the sleeves on a shirt if necessary.
- Visit a thrift store or two: If you really don't have anything you can use in your closet, then head to the nearest thrift store. You can pick up clothing for next to nothing, so be on the lookout for anything that might work; the louder and more colorful, the better!
- Check out online auctions and classifieds:You never know what you might find on places like eBay and Craigslist.
- Sew it yourself:If you are handy with a sewing machine, try your hand at creating your own Sonny and Cher costume.
Clothing and Accessories
Creating great looking costumes really depends upon the material and accessories you choose. Some ideas for Sonny and Cher outfits include the following:
- Wigs:This is an absolute must if you are going as Cher unless you have long (really long) black hair.
- Bright clothing:To recreate the look of Cher, brighter is better, so choose material that features patterns and accents such as flowers, geometric shapes, sparkly accents, long flowing sleeves and bell bottoms or tight fitting halter dresses. For Sonny, look for polyester suits with shiny patent shoes, or go for the hippie look with a peasant style shirt, unbuttoned at the neck and big gold jewelry. Don't forget the mustache! For either costume, a long vest with fringe on the ends can complete the look.
- Jewelry:Again, you want to look for loud and bright, with gold bangles and necklaces or big costume jewelry pieces, including dripping earrings and sparkling bracelets.
Creating the Sonny and Cher look really is a breeze, but be ready to sing when you and your partner arrive at the party!