Whether you're celebrating in New Orleans or somewhere else in the world, there are lots of types of Mardi Gras masks to try. You'll find costume options for every personality and situation, from parades and parties to masked balls. You can even make your own mask with a few basic supplies.
Simple Mardi Gras Masks
If you're on a budget or want to try your hand at making your own mask as a Mardi Gras craft, start with a simple design. You can use a Mardi Gras mask template to make a simple mask of your own and decorate it any way you like. You can also purchase one of these designs:
- Mardi Gras Glitter Mask - Offered in glittering gold, green, or purple, this simple and affordable plastic mask from Mardi Gras Outlet is great if you want some sparkle without a lot of decoration. They retail for only $4.25 for a pack of 12, so you can give them to your friends too.
- Mardi Gras Cat's Eye Masks - If you like the cat's eye look, you can buy a basic shiny mask in green, purple, or gold from Oriental Trading Company. Try adding your own embellishments to make it even cooler. These retail for about five dollars for 24.
- Purple and Gold Harlequin Mask - This pretty design from Amscan features a harlequin pattern in glittering purple and gold. The style is simple, which lets the pattern be the star. These retail for about five dollars each on Amazon.
Elaborate Mardi Gras Masks
If you want something a little more elaborate, you can add your own touches to an existing mask. Mardi Gras masks with feathers, glitter, beads, and other embellishments let you show off your personality. You can make your own by using hot glue to attach decorations to a simple mask, or you can purchase elaborate mardi gras masks from retailers. Consider the following options:
- Venetian Mardi Gras Princess Mask - This design from Mardi Gras Outlet is fit for a princess. It features a feminine face with purple lips, sparkling green and purple jester's points, and many more touches. It retails for about $29.
- Carnival Mardi Gras Mask - This glittering dark green mask from HalloweenCostumes.com is embellished with lots of beautiful purple feathers and gold braid. There are also purple and gold ribbon streamers and peacock feathers. It's guaranteed to turn heads, and at about $15, it's affordable too.
- Glitter Feather Mardi Gras Half Mask - Featuring gold glitter, purple and green feathers, and plenty of mystery, this lovely half mask is perfect if you want a more elaborate design. It retails for about $15 from Party City.
Mardi Gras Masks on a Stick
If you wear glasses, it's difficult to get a traditional Mardi Gras mask to fit comfortably over your frames. A stick mask works better for this situation, and it's also great if you want to raise and lower your mask throughout the evening. You can add a stick to many purchased masks by cutting a piece of dowel from the craft store and glueing it to the mask. Alternatively, you can buy a mask with a stick already attached:
- Mardi Gras Stick Mask - This option from Amazon has it all - a stick, glitter, feathers, and plenty of purple, green, and gold. This design retails for about $15.
- Gold Venetian Masquerade Mask on a Stick - Offered by emardigrasbeads.com, this ornate design has purple ostrich feathers sprouting from the top of the gold paper mache mask. The mask is supported with a handy stick and retails for about $12.
- Purple Feathered Mardi Gras Mask on a Stick - This gorgeous design from Party at Lewis features purple feathers and a purple, pink, and gold mask. A decorated stick supports the mask, which retails for about $13.
Mardi Gras Masks Celebrating Music
Music is a big part of any Mardi Gras celebration, and you'll find lots of masks featuring music decorations. Make your own music-themed Mardi Gras mask by using decoupage to apply sheet music to a mask. You can also buy a music-themed mask like one of these:
- Deluxe Sheet Music Jester Mask - This design from Mardi Gras Outlet features purple and gold jester points, plenty of elaborate decoration, and sheet music on the face. It's a gorgeous statement and retails for about $29.
- Masquerade Party Mask on a Stick - This stick mask from Beyond Masquerade features appliques of sheet music. The half-mask design is great for either gender, and the stick is handy too. It retails for about $19.
- Eye Music Notes Mardi Gras Mask - This mask from Amazon has an an all-over design of music notes and a simple shape. It's gold and ivory and retails for about $7.50.
Show Off Your Personality and Style
As you're shopping for Mardi Gras masks, don't forget to look at different types of masquerade masks. If you're okay with the mask not being purple and green, you can find tons of beautiful Italian masquerade masks that will get you noticed at any Mardi Gras party. No matter what kind of mask you choose, the key is to pick one that represents your personality and style.