With a little time and lots of creativity, you can make your own InuYasha costume. Whether you need an outfit for a convention, cosplay costume party, or Halloween event, you can turn heads and impress your friends when you dress up as InuYasha.
Originally a character in the 56-volume manga series of the same name, InuYasha went on to have his own anime series. The show began in 1996 and concluded in 2008. By the end of the series, InuYasha had become a beloved character to millions of fans.
The main character of the series, InuYasha, is a half-demon. His father was a dog-demon, and his mother was a human. He wears a long-sleeved, full-length red robe, which is called the "Robe of the Fire Rat." The robe has legs and is actually more of a jumpsuit. His hair is long and is silver in color. He has pointy dog ears on top of his head and wears a necklace of dark beads and sharp teeth.
How to Make Your Own InuYasha Costume
When it comes to making your own costume, InuYasha is actually relatively easy. With a few supplies, basic sewing skills, and some free time, you can create your own costume version of this beloved character.
Things You'll Need
- Long white or silver wig
- Styling cream to add texture
- Pattern for a marital arts costume or "gi"
- Red cotton fabric
- Black fabric for belt
- Large black beads and white tooth-shaped beads
- Thread for beading
- Vampire teeth
- White and pink felt
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Artificial nails
What to Do
- The most difficult part of your costume will be the robe. To create InuYasha's red robe, you can use a pattern for a martial arts outfit. This outfit is called a "gi," and you can find patterns at Round Earth Publishing. You may want to modify the gi to give it fuller legs. Use a medium-weight bright red cotton to create the robe.
- Make InuYasha's belt out of black cotton. The belt should be long enough to comfortably tie around your waist.
- If the wig you purchased does not include bangs, you'll need to trim it. To do this, place the wig on your head and use scissors to cut heavy bangs at about eye level. Next, use styling products to give the wig a piecey, edgy look.
- Use scissors to cut two triangles out of white felt. They should be about three inches long. Cut smaller pink triangle to fit inside the white triangles, and hot glue the felt pieces together to create InuYasha's ears, which are similar to cosplay cat ears. Sew or hot glue the ears to the wig.
- Make InuYasha's necklace with the black and tooth-shaped beads. The majority of the necklace will be black beads, but tooth-shaped beads should be spaced approximately every four inches. The necklace should be just long enough to fit over your head.
- Apply artificial nails to your fingertips. The nails should be quite long, and you may need to trim them slightly to give them the appropriate canine appearance.
- To complete your outfit, you'll need InuYasha's sword. You can find a similar replica sword at Bonanzle.
- Finally, use powder to make your face paler. Use golden-brown eye shadow to give your eyes the appearance of InuYasha's amber color. Use dark eyeliner to call attention to your eyes and eyebrows.
- Depending on you sewing skills, this costume may take some time. You'll also need a few days to assemble the components for your outfit. Make sure you allow enough time before your event.
- When trimming the bangs on your wig, you may want to get assistance. It's sometimes difficult to do a good job when you're cutting bangs on your own head.
- When you make your own Inuyasha costume, you can be proud of your efforts. Don't forget to have a good time!