If you're wondering, "How can I make my own Kiss costume?" you're actually in luck! When it comes to homemade costumes, dressing up as a Kiss band member is both fun and easy.
Formed in 1972, Kiss is one of the most recognizable and famous rock bands of all time. They have sold more than 80 million albums and have performed off and on for more than 35 years. Known for their painted faces and elaborate outfits, the band wowed audiences with stunts like fire breathing and sword swallowing. Band member have stage personas, similar to comic book characters.
The band members' makeup consists mostly of black and white face paint, but each stage persona has a different style.
- The Starchild, portrayed by Paul Stanley, wears a white face with a black star over his right eye. His lips are painted red.
- The Demon, portrayed by Gene Simmons, has a spiky black mask painted over his eyes. The rest of his face is white, and his lips are outlined in black.
- The Spaceman, portrayed by Ace Frehley and Tommy Thayer, has black lips and a futuristic looking grey and black mask over the eyes. White paint covers the rest of his face.
- The Catman, portrayed by Peter Criss and Eric Singer, has a white face with green and black cat eyes. He also has a painted nose, red mouth, and black whiskers.
- The Fox, portrayed by Eric Carr, has black lips and a black and red mask over his eyes. The rest of his face is white.
- The Ankh Warrior, portrayed by Vinnie Vincent, has black eyes and lips and an ankh across his nose and forehead.
How Can I Make My Own Kiss Costume?
To dress up as a Kiss member, you'll need a few inexpensive supplies, plenty of makeup, and lots of attitude.
Things You'll Need
- Black wig
- Styling products
- Long-sleeved black t-shirt
- Face paint
- Metal studs, rhinestones, and sequins
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Black leggings
- Black gloves
- Inexpensive tall boots
- Inexpensive belt or punk belt
- Silver spray paint
What to Do
- Use the scissors to cut a deep v-neck in the black t-shirt. Leave the edges ragged.
- With the hot glue gun, apply studs or other embellishment to the t-shirt. Concentrate on the area around the v-neck.
- In a well-ventilated area, use the silver spray paint to evenly coat the boots. Also spray paint the belt if it doesn't have a punk look. Allow these items to dry.
- Use styling products to give the wig the appropriate messy look. You may want to try a combination of hair pomade, gel, and hairspray.
- When you're ready, put on the t-shirt, and tuck it into the leggings. Tuck the leggings into the silver boots. Cover up the waistband of the leggings with the belt.
- Put on the wig, and apply the face paint. Depending on which character you choose to be, you may need white, black, red, green, tan, or grey makeup.
- Finally, put on the black gloves.
Tips for Dressing Up as a Member of Kiss
Before you head out to your costume party, Halloween get-together, or other event, it helps to keep a few things in mind:
- Kiss costumes are great for a group. Several people can dress up as the various members of the band.
- Carry your makeup with you so you can do touch-ups. As you dance, sweat, or eat, you're likely to smudge your makeup a little.
- Get creative. Kiss members have worn different costumes over the years. Get into the spirit of things, but don't worry about being completely accurate.
- Have a good time! Now that you know the answer to the question, "How can I make my own Kiss costume?" you can concentrate on enjoying yourself!