Halloween and other costume parties provide a reason to get all dolled up. Double the fun by pairing up with someone special and create a dynamic duo of costumes that go together! The famous couples that inspire costumes can be real celebrities, fiction characters, or even just two things that go great together.
Harley Quinn and Joker From Suicide Squad
Dress up like this famous villainous duo from DC Comics and the hit movie.
Harley Quinn Costume
Look like Harley by doing the following:
- Put on a wig ($36) or clip-in hair extensions ($49).
- Harley's eye makeup and tattooed heart can be recreated with a makeup kit ($13).
- The Daddy's Lil Monster shirt (X-Small to 3X-Large, $20-25) can be purchased at Hot Topic and cut up to look damaged.
- Add a pair of blue and red shorts.
- Don a Puddin' choker replica ($12) and a studded belt ($12).
- Add some fishnet tights.
- Screen-accurate heeled boots can be purchased or any ankle boots can be worn.
Become the Joker
The Joker has a colorful look that you can easily replicate.
- Spray green temporary hair color onto hair.
- A makeup kit is available, which includes white cream makeup, fake tattoos, and green hair gel.
- Put on a red button down shirt (Small to 3X-Large, $38).
- Wear a metallic grill prop ($20) for Joker's teeth.
- Accessorize with a studded bracelet ($9).
- Add a gun holster ($35) outfitted with a prop pistol ($12).
- Put on black dress pants.
- Finish by wearing black dress shoes.
Lucy and Ricky From I Love Lucy
A vintage look is the key to capturing the essence of both Lucy and Ricky.
For Lucy, some items can be purchased to get that stylish vintage housewife look:
- Wear a vintage-style dress like this 50s flared dress (2 to 24W, $30) or wear this cape collar vintage swing dress. (S to XXL, $40)
- Top the dress with a white, waist-tie apron (the frillier the better).
- Don a red, curly wig in an updo (like this synthetic wig) if the costumer isn't already a redhead.
- Wear a string of fake pearls to finish off the look.
Dress Like Ricky
Rickey's attire is fairly standard 1950s businessman.
- A suit in black or dark blue can be worn. This can be a costume (Small to X-Large, $40), come from the closet, or even be a thrift store find.
- Wear a crisp white button down shirt.
- Add a skinny necktie (around $20), which was very stylish at the time of the show.
- Top it all off with a skimmer hat ($15).
Bob and Linda Belcher from Bob's Burgers
Bob and Linda both require items that can be found easily and inexpensively.
You won't need to buy much, if anything, to look like Bob.
- Start with simple gray sweatpants.
- Wear a white, round-necked T-shirt.
- Put on a white, full-sized apron ($2 plus shipping).
- Grab a spatula from the kitchen.
- If needed, pick up a fake moustache ($13) and spirit gum it onto the costumer's upper lip.
Like her husband, Linda doesn't need much to create her outfit.
- Begin with a pair of jeans from the closet or a thrift store.
- Add a red long-sleeved shirt (Small to X-Large, $15).
- Wear a simple white waist-tie apron.
- Wear a pair of red cat-eye glasses ($10). Pop the lenses out if they're hard to see in.
- Top it all off with a shoulder-length black wig ($27).
John Lennon and Yoko Ono
For both John and Yoko, the key is finding flowing, loose-fitting white clothing. Carrying protest signs that say WAR IS OVER or BED PEACE is a nice touch. The photo is used with permission from Instagram users @brianwesleyoakes and @dawn.oakes.
Get the 1960s vibe with John's attire.
- Put on a pair of loose white pants (Small to X-Large, $60).
- Add a white t-shirt.
- Wear a button down shirt over the t-shirt (Small to XX-Large, $25) and leave it unbuttoned. Alternatively, a long lightweight coat from a thrift shop would work, too.
- Wear your hair a little long and shaggy or use a wig.
- Put on some retro round glasses ($14) to complete the look.
Yoko's outfit doesn't require a lot of items.
- Start with flowing white pants (Medium to X-Large, $25).
- Wear a white men's button down shirt that's several sizes too large.
- Top off the look with an oversized sun hat ($40).
- Wear a pair of vintage-style round sunglasses ($10).
Hillary and Bill Clinton
Both Hillary and Bill's costumes call for a business suit as a base.
Bill's Presidential Power Suit
A mask and suit are pretty much everything needed to complete Bill's look.
- Start with a black or navy blue suit that has been purchased (new or used) or taken from the closet.
- Wear a white button-down shirt and a tie.
- Add a comical Bill Clinton caricature mask ($15).
- Optional: An inflatable saxophone can be a fun prop.
Hillary's No Nonsense Suit
The suit makes the costume for Hillary.
- Begin with a light colored suit (sizes 4 to 18, $80), or a suit from a local thrift store if the closet at home doesn't have everything that is needed.
- Wear a fun Hillary Clinton caricature mask ($10) if needed.
- If you have short blonde hair, style it like Hillary's with a curling iron and hair spray, then wear bright red lipstick and black mascara.
- Accessorize with faux pearl earrings and a necklace.
- Optional: Carry small American flags or printed pages of redacted e-mails.
Popeye and Olive Oyl
Make Your Own Olive Oyl
Most of Olive Oyl's costume can come from your closet.
- Start with a red long-sleeved shirt.
- Add some white trim ($10) to the entire collar with a needle and thread or a glue gun.
- Wear a basic black pencil skirt (X-Small to XX-Large, $10 to 20).
- Hot glue or sew yellow or gold ribbon around the bottom of the skirt, about 2 inches above the bottom hemline.
- Wear a wig in black ($23) that's in a low ponytail or a bun at the nape of the neck.
You'll need to put a little effort into DIYing Popeye, but it's well worth the effort.
- Start with a black polo shirt or short-sleeved button-up shirt.
- Using roughly half of a yard of red felt, cut out a sailor collar shape with a hole in the middle for the costumer's head.
- Using a black marker, draw a continuous line about an inch from the outer edge of the collar piece.
- Hot glue or hand-sew the collar onto the base shirt at the shoulders and where the front points of the collar meet.
- Popeye's blue pants can easily be a pair of brightly colored sweatpants.
- Add a yellow belt.
- Wear men's brown dress shoes or brown loafers.
- Draw one anchor on each forearm, close to the elbow, using makeup.
- Add a white sailor hat ($6).
- Keep a corn cob pipe ($4) in the mouth.
Dana Scully and Fox Mulder From The X-Files
Both Mulder and Scully are based in a white button-down shirt, suit jacket, and black pants.
For Dana Scully:
- Wear a white button down shirt with the top two or three buttons open.
- Don a black suit jacket.
- Wear black dress pants.
- Wear a pair of black dress shoes with or without a heel.
- Optional: Wear a dark copper wig ($30).
For Fox Mulder:
- Wear a white button shown shirt and a dark-colored tie.
- Put on a dark-colored suit jacket and dress pants.
- Wear black dress shoes.
Badge Prop Supplies
The accessories are important with these costumes. Prop badges for each agent can be purchased ($6) or crafted at home. The vertical badges and badge-holder wallets can be created with some cardstock and a little handiwork. To make all four of these pieces (vertical ID badges and badge-holder wallets for both costumers), some supplies are needed:
- 2 (8.5x11) sheets of black cardstock or black poster board
- 2 (8.5x11) sheets of white cardstock or white poster board
- 1 sheet (8.5x11) yellow cardstock or yellow poster board
- 2 (2x2 inch) printed photographs (in costume if possible) of each costumer, taken against a plain white background
- Black pen
- Blue marker
- 2 safety pins
Badge Prop Instructions
- Cut two 4.5x6 inch rectangles of black cardstock.
- Cut two 4x2.5 inch rectangles of white cardstock.
- Cut two 2x2 inch squares of white cardstock.
- Cut two roughly 3x2 inch badge shapes (see Scully's badge in the reference photo) out of the yellow cardstock.
- Glue the photos of each costumer onto the white rectangle, using the photo for reference as to placement.
- On the left side of the white rectangle, using the blue marker, draw a circle crest (add as much details as is desired).
- In the middle of the white rectangle, using the blue marker, write the letters FBI.
- On the horizontal badge, write the character's signature under each photo.
- Using the glue stick, glue down the horizontal badge, white square, and yellow badge onto the black cardstock, using the photo for reference as to placement.
- Fold the black cardstock in half so it looks like a wallet that opens and closes, using the photo for reference.
Vertical Badge Instructions
- Cut two 4x2.5 inch rectangles of white cardstock.
- Glue the photos of each costumer onto the white rectangle, near the bottom, using the photo as reference.
- Using the blue marker, write the letters FBI above the photo.
- Under the printed FBI, in smaller letters, using the black pen, write the words SPECIAL AGENT.
- Under SPECIAL AGENT, but above the photo, using the black pen, write each character's signature.
- Use a safety pin to fix the vertical badges to each costumer's jacket.
Purchased Couples Costumes
For couples looking to have costumed fun together, but who want to save time, there are plenty of paired costumes to purchase from costume stores online.
Victor and Emily From The Corpse Bride
Knock 'em dead at the party with this creepy movie couple. The man's costume (Small, Large, $55) comes with a suit jacket with tails, striped pants, dickey with light blue tie, and black wig. The woman's costume (S/M, M/L, $80) features the dress with skeleton sleeves, lace gloves, veil, and blue wig. Get inspired by this ghostly makeup tutorial.
D.Va and Reaper From Overwatch
Put down the controller and live the game with these great costumes. The man's Reaper costume (Small to Large $70) includes the mask, costume, gauntlets, and boot covers that slide over existing shoes or boots. The woman's D.Va costume (Small to X-Large, $65) comes with the bodysuit, gloves, and headpiece. Add white go go boots and put on D.Va's signature facial markings with makeup.
Queen Cleo and Anubis From Egyptian Mythology
Rule over mere mortals in these costumes from the Egyptian pantheon. The man's costume (one size fits most, $55) includes a black tunic, skirt, red and gold belt with the Eye of Horus detailing, black collar, black cape, red arm bands, and a black Anubis mask. Add gladiator sandals to complete the costume. The woman's costume (Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, $52) features a black and gold bodysuit with a sheer black skirt, and a headpiece with tassles. These gold Egyptian-style sandals are a stylish footwear choice.
Hot Dog and Bun
Bring this picnic favorite to the next costume party with a couple's hot dog and bun costume. These costumes are sold as a pair (about $50), which includes a hot dog tunic and a bun tunic. It comes in one size for adults and can be worn over existing, plain-colored clothing like T-shirts, jeans, or leggings. For fun, flip the idea on its head and have her as the hot dog and him as the bun! Finish the look off with prop ketchup and mustard bottles (that might be good for putting drinks in).
Wearing costumes in a pair or a group can make Halloween, Purim, or other dress-up events even more fun. Whether purchased or made at home, it's easy to have a great time and be the life of the party with a clever pair of costumes.