Wings are a vital part of any fairy costume . Although they can be purchased at drugstores and costume shops, it is sometimes fulfilling to create a set at home. Whether for Halloween, a play or just for fun, fairy wings are a delightful way to transport yourself into a magical fantasy land.
Buying Fairy Wings
There are a lot of wing sets available commercially. You can find them in a wide array of colors and sizes to appeal to a variety of customers.
- Costumes Fairy.com specializes in everything you need for a complete fairy costume, including wings.
- Etsy offers a variety of hand-crafted wings to match any color.
General Costume Stores
- Annie's Costumes offers some colorful designs alongside a selection of wings in basic colors and designs for the less flashy.
- BuyCostumes.com provides a mix of fairy and other types of wings.
Make Your Own Wings
Creating custom fairy wings will assure that they are the right size, shape and color needed for the costume. It is a simple project that will only take an hour or so to complete.
- 4 wire hangers
- Duct tape
- Queen size white panty hose with sheer toes
- Pipe cleaners
- 2 feet of 1/2 inch elastic
- Flower bud heads
- Glitter glue
- Carefully unwrap and straighten all four hangers.
- Twist two pieces into your desired shape for the top of the wings. The remaining two pieces will be the bottoms of the wings and should be shaped accordingly. (You can come up with your own shape or use patterns to guide you. Two patterns are given in the next section.)
- Place the top piece atop the bottom piece. Twist the ends of the wires together a few times in the middle using pliers.
- Secure the wire with duct tape.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with your other wires.
- Attach the two wings together, using duct tape to hold them securely.
- Cut the legs off a pair of queen-size panty hose.
- Stretch one leg over one wing and secure with a pipe cleaner.
- Duct tape the excess from each wing to the center.
- Wrap a strip of 1/2 inch wide elastic in a figure 8 around shoulders of person who is going to wear the the wings and cut (use more or less elastic for a custom fit).
- Duct tape the elastic together where it joins and to the area between the two wings.
- Hot glue the a flower bud heads to the area between the wings (the side facing out when worn).
- Create a design on the wings with glitter glue.
Fairy Wing Pattern
Someone who is not comfortable with free-handing a fairy wing shape, but who wants to create her own wings can use a pattern or template when creating them.
- Martha Stewart offers a simple, printable fairy wing template that can be enlarged and printed.
Putting It All Together
Once you've bought or made the fairy wings, you're almost finished since wings are the most important part of a fairy costume. The rest of the costume can be as basic as a body suit with a tutu or as elaborate as a formal gown with a crown. Regardless of the type of costume you choose, you're sure to shine with your beautiful wings.