Celtic costumes are full of the rich heritage and tradition found in Ireland. Whether you participate in Irish dancing, or you're reenacting a Celtic battle, a well-designed costume can make your look come alive.
Where to Buy
Separate from the green-colored Irish-themed costumes found on Saint Patrick's Day, and not quite as elaborate as something you'd wear to a Renaissance faire, are the Celtic costumes that show more everyday life. From the Celtic warriors to the underlinens and garments worn by women everywhere, there are several choices for Celtic-inspired costumes.
Museum Replicas creates and sells Celtic and Scottish costumes and accessories. In addition to Renaissance clothing, you'll find country clothing including skirts, underdresses and overdresses, as well as Monk's robes, armor and accessories like swords, helmets and shields.
A few items to consider include:
- The Country Maid Skirt, which is a skirt with an integral bodice that laces up the front. It is meant to be worn over a chemise or a chemise and underskirt. It's made of 100 percent cotton, and customers warn at the bottom of the page that the fabric is very stiff. It comes in sizes Small through Large and retails for about $70.
- The Country Maid Overdress is a faux-suede corset with an attached cotton skirt in green cotton. It comes in sizes Small/Medium and Large/Extra Large, and customers warn that it does run big in the chest. It costs about $60.
Clothing prices range from about $50 to $80 with several sizes ranging from Small to Extra Large available for most pieces. They offer free shipping on all orders over $200 within the US, and do ship internationally as well. Returns are guaranteed if within 30 days with the original paperwork.
Medieval Collectibles also carries both Celtic and Scottish clothing and accessories. Among their listings are Irish dresses, Irish chemises and Celtic Sword belts. They offer products for children, as well as women and men, with pricing ranging from about $40 to $300. They also carry swords and other accessories for completing a costume, as well as functional armor.
A few of their items to consider include:
- The Irish Dress is a cotton twill overdress that laces up the front. It's meant to be worn over a chemise and gathered skirt and has boning in the bodice. It comes in six colors and is sized by the waist from 24 to 44-inches. Measure your waist carefully and order the closest measurement down; it's better for the bodice to be too small than too large. The dress retails for about $130.
- The Celtic Chemise is a cotton garment worn by women beneath their everyday clothes. The sleeves have a drawstring that ties at the shoulder, and the dress is meant to be oversized. It comes in sizes Small/Medium or Large/Extra Large and retails for about $90.
- The Celtic Double Wrap Sword Belt is a leather belt embossed with Celtic designs that is worn wrapped around the waist. The sword threads through it and is held in place by a sword "frog." It comes in sizes Small through Extra Large by waist size and is around $55.
Gift wrapping is available at no extra charge for any item. Shipping is done via UPS and is calculated by weight and distance. Allow up to a week for shipping. They will accept returns up to one year after shipping, provided the item is in its original condition. Refunds are given minus a 15 percent restocking fee. Customers that have posted reviews on the company's Facebook page like the quality of the products, as well as some of the more unique items that are carried.
Threads of Time
Threads of Time specializes in Celtic costumes suitable for Celtic fairs, weddings and celebrations. They offer items for both men and women and include authentic items, as well as items embellished with Celtic knots and other Irish themes. They also carry accessories such as boots, cloaks and masks needed to complete a look.
A few items to consider at Threads of Time include:
- The Celtic Lady Dress, which is a long-sleeve, fitted dress with Celtic knots on the bodice and around the ends of the arms. They are available in silk, microfiber or velveteen and come in sizes Extra Small through 3X. Lacing at the sleeve cuffs is optional for an additional price, and the dress comes in a wide range of different colors. It retails for between $165 and $225 with options.
- The Inverness Vest, which is a fitted men's vest with Celtic knot embroidery along the lapels. It fastens with gunmetal-colored clasps across the front, and comes in five colors. It's available in sizes Extra Small through 3X and retails for $101.
- The Gypsy Skirt, which is a black skirt with a drawstring waist and handkerchief hemmed overlay. It can be worn over or under another skirt and the hem can be raised or lowered depending on how it's worn. It comes in sizes Extra Small through 3X and retails for about $35.
Their shipping times run 4 to 8 weeks, although there may be some items in stock at any given time. They also offer custom and specialty items such as modifications to any of their standard items, or a completely new design. Allow up to four months for a custom or special design. Returns are at their discretion, and they do make alterations if necessary to make an item fit. Reviews from customers on their Facebook page love the customer service that Threads of Time offers.
Morgana's Collection specializes in Medieval and ancient clothing and accessories. They carry several different Celtic pieces as well, all handmade and made to order.
A few items to consider include:
- Medieval Celtic Viking Combat Pants, which are linen pants with an elastic waist and a loose fit that gathers at the ankle. The pants are available in sizes Small through Extra Large and come in a wide selection of colors. Include your measurements with the order to get the best fit. The pants retail for $65.
- Medieval Celtic Viking Padded Armor, which is a cotton and linen coat meant to be worn under chainmail or body armor, but which can be worn on its own. The garment has long sleeves and a stand-up color, and fastens with silver clasps down the front. It comes in four colors in sizes Small through Extra Large. It retails for $180.
Shipping is flat rate, $15 to most countries, and most items ship within 10 days of payment clearing. Customers love the fit and the quality of the pieces, as well as the attention to detail in each piece. Returns are available only for defective items, and must be made within 10 days.
Show Your Celtic Pride
No matter what reason you're donning a Celtic or Celtic-inspired costume, you'll find plenty of options to put together the look that suits you best. Dress in any of these costumes to show off your Celtic pride.